Wednesday, 24 April 2013

21.02.13 Gone too soon?


The song by Puff Daddy and Faith Evans for the rapper the late Notorious BIG, "I'll be missing you." succinctly pulls together the feelings of loss experienced by anyone who has ever had to deal with the death of a loved one. My father lost his biological mother at a very young age and while many heralded the new year with eagerness for bright things to come, my family had to deal with anguish, loss, confusion and pain. My father's eldest sister died in her sleep at the age of 65, her demise came with no fore warning, she was alive and lively just hours before and the next thing I know is I am jolted out of my bed on the first day of the new school term with news that she had passed away. The loss of my aunt was the hardest one we have had to deal with collectively. She was the surrogate mother to all of her siblings and for a number of years I thought she was my grandmother, since she had grandchildren who were in and around my own age. Something about today made me not feel like going to class and as I entered and heard the discussion it dawned on me. Today my aunt would have celebrated her sixty sixth birthday, only last year we celebrated with the pomp and flair my family is known for, her sixty fifth. It's hard not having the matriarch of my paternal family around. I look at my forty two year old cousin, the one who had the unfortunate role of being the first to find my aunt's lifeless body and realize that Kubler-Ross Stages of grief aren't limited by boundaries of age, class, creed or gender. I know that as family members we try to cushion the loss especially for him by trying to comfort each other, spending time together and trying to continue with life as normal as possible. But the truth of the matter is, life will never be the same again. Family gatherings will never be the same again. "Limes" will never be the same again and at some point in time we are all going to have to come to terms with that. Today however doesn't seem as if it's going to be that day. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc2K10CrThw

No comments:

Post a Comment